[ale] RH 7.1 (Seawolf) development system needed

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 10:46:14 EDT 2006

W00H00! I've just finished a very silly web project in python 2.3.  Alas, my
web server is on Red Hat 7.1 (Seawolf), and my hosting company (
iquesthosting.com) has shown no sign of interest in upgrading it. To my
knowledge, there's no Python 2.3+ RPMs which go back this far. The server
also lacks a C compiler (as it should).

Rather than go through a long RedHat 7.1 RPM development dance, I'd like to
build python from source on another machine and then transfer it over. The
configure script has an option to install to an arbitrary directory, so I'm
thinking I can easily make a python 'distro' tar(1) file and do the
transfer.  I'll need either a development system or a set of install disks
for RH 7.1, though. I can arrange to be at the MythTV build-in Saturday for
this -- I'm thinking it'll take no more than an hour on an already-installed
machine, or I can just pick up the CDs and install on a machine at home.

-- CHS