[ale] Digital camera question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Apr 15 09:21:24 EDT 2006

Bob Slaughter wrote:
> I'm considering picking up a Pentax *ist DL in the next few months,
> and I was wondering if either someone could directly answer or point
> me to a site where I can find out if this camera has any issues under
> Linux or not.

I don't know anything about this particular camera, but I've seen an
upswing on DRM (ie.: digital rights management, but I prefer digital
restrictive manglement) on various devices, including iriver music
players and various other digital audio/video devices.

I made the mistake of picking up two iriver devices from Best Buys a
while back, only to find out they were now using M$ DRM solutions.  I
returned them both.

Be very careful and watch for anything that carries the M$ playsforsure,
as this is a sure indicator it's using M$ drm.  That's not to say it
won't work with your Linux box, but keep an eye out.

If you can purchase the hardware somewhere, try it out and return it,
that's your best bet.  Some shops have a more liberal return policy.
Microcenter will give you a full refund for opened hardware if you
return it within 30 days.  Circuit City has the same policy.  I
purchased two mp3 players at Circuit City a while back and fortunately
didn't have to return either, but I was sure to check their return policy.

As for Best Buys, I had purchased two identical devices, opened only
one.  I told them that the device was not recognized by my computer and
they gave me a refund for both.  I did not offer any other information
(OS ??) and they did not ask.  I did not inquire as to their return
policy prior to the purchase or when returning the devices, so be sure
to inquire before purchasing.   You'd think I'd know better by now...

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin