[ale] Norway report on benefits of converting their entire national school system to Linux thin clients

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Apr 14 14:34:21 EDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Daniel Howard wrote:

> A great read for those interested. Link to pdf english version at bottom
> of this note.  Daniel
>
> By Knut Yrvin - Skolelinux / DebianEdu
>
> The Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research has founded a report
> about free software in schools. It covers planing and deployment of
> Skolelinux/DebianEdu that currently includes 234 Norwegian schools,
> 33,000 client machines, and 101,000 pupils and teachers. The focus
> is on technical issues, economy and organisation. There is also some
> feedback on how the teachers use free software in their teaching.

<<snip some good stuff!>>

Wonder how that compares to the various Atlanta area school districts? Up
I85 aways, the county wide district here (Charlotte) is up to 110,000
students I think.

Course, given the politics, we may be challenged just to get enough mobile
classrooms for all the new growth. Figuring out an appropriate computer
usage policy is probably asking for too much.

<<sigh>>

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown