[ale] GRUB issue on boot

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 10:26:02 EDT 2006

What is meant by "installing grub" may be confusing you.  Installing
grub-the-package isn't the same as installing the grub utility on a disk
drive.

Once grub.conf is set up, you install grub in the MBR as follows (given
that /dev/hda1 is supposed to be /boot):

# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)          (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
grub> setup (hd0)           (Install GRUB in the MBR)
grub> quit                  (Exit the GRUB shell)

Note:  This is taken right out of the Gentoo installation handbook.
I've been installing and using grub for single and dual boots for years
now under Gentoo and it Just Works.

Jef