[ale] backup DHCP

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Apr 12 07:52:25 EDT 2006

David Corbin wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2006 09:02 pm, Christopher Fowler wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 19:54 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>>> You know, I fail to understand why folks run a dhcp server.  How many
>>> computers do you have?  What's wrong with good old fashion static IPs?
>> Many.  I have many machines.  Some real.  Some virtual.
>

> I've got a few machines myself.  10 'permanent' residents, plus a few thing
> for printers and such.  The general answer is that I'm not organized enough
> to keep track of all my static IPs, and to keep the bind working correctly.

So therefore you want to have a dhcp server with a backup dhcp server?
I don't know,  just seems to me that static IPs for 10+ machines would
be a lot easier then messing with all that stuff. :)

Speaking of organization, I've not seen the top of my desk in 6 months... :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin