[ale] backup DHCP

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Apr 11 19:54:04 EDT 2006

Joe Steele wrote:
> David Corbin wrote:
>> I've had some recent problems with my home network situation.  I strive very
>> hard to keep it 'reliable' for my wife, as she depend on it for various
>> things.  Today, one problem that showed up was that she lost her network
>> connection.  This was because of dhcp 'problems'.
>>
>> It would be easy enough for me to run 2 DHCP servers, each with different
>> blocks of addresses.  But surely there is a way to run a "backup DHCP server"
>> that uses the same configuration.
>>
>> Any pointers?
>>
> I've never played with such a setup myself, but I remember reading about
> it once.  Take a look at "man dhcpd.conf", and find the heading DHCP
> FAILOVER.

You know, I fail to understand why folks run a dhcp server.  How many
computers do you have?  What's wrong with good old fashion static IPs?

Unless of course, it's a laptop she drags from home to work and back.
If so, then disregard this post altogether... :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin