[ale] Offering services over PPP

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 09:12:08 EDT 2006

Uh hmm. How're you establishing the PPP connection?  Is it just gonna stay
up all the time? Usually linux distros are set up to drop client ppp
connections after a timeout with no activity. It's a great feature in client
mode, but you're apparently trying to be in server mode.  Are you actually
trying to, like, make a dial-up server ?  I wrassled down a ppp server on
Solaris Back in the Day, it was pretty way complicated.  Nowadays there're
beaucoup directions for setting up ppp servers under linux on google.
Basically you need to set your modem(s) up to answer the phone, then hook
the connection  up with a ppp ->server<- on your machine. This usually
happens through fiddling /etc/gettytab or whatever the local linux
equivalent is.

Seems like the only way firewall configuration would be an issue is if
you're actually running ipchains or ipfw on the box itself, which you said
you're not. If you're sure of your ppp connection, you might want to
experiment with the "listen" directive in httpd.conf. What happens if you
explicitly set it to the ip address of the ppp connection? Will it respond
then?

-- CHS