[ale] Cat-5 question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Apr 10 11:12:02 EDT 2006

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> * These days most CAt-5 cable uses stranded wire, but solid wire
> cables do exist and the rj-45 jacks are different for each -- not
> that I would have been able to tell the difference.

The difference is that for stranded wire, the part of the connector that
is crimped to the physical wire is designed to go between the strands.
For solid wire it's designed to 'pinch' the wire, that is go around it.
  If you use stranded wire connector with solid wire, the connector will
split the single solid strand and won't necessarily give you a good
connection.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin