[ale] Cat-5 question

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Apr 10 10:43:04 EDT 2006

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> Boy, oh boy, do I need some help.
> Needed to string more Cat-5 cable under the house. Had to chop off
> one plug to get the wire through the holes already bored in the
> house's structure. ("She who must be consulted" has ruled that no
> more half-inch holes may be bored in walls or floors.)
> So how do I attach a new rj-45 plug to the cable?
>
> I have the crimper and a handful of the plugs. But I have tried
> and tried and I can not get all eight tiny wires inside the plug,
> nicely lined up in their proper grooves, and shoved all the way
> to the end -- that's the really tricky part.
>
> I got close enough once to actually get the green light on the
> ethernet card to blink rapidly for about 10 seconds before it gave
> up.  Either there is some trick tool I don't own that makes this
> job easier, or I need the hands and eyesight of a 12-year-old
> Persian rug maker.
>
> Are all eight wires actually used?

No, but I find it easier to get all 8 then just 4.

> How do people do this who do it for a living?

I'm not quite sure why you're having such a problem.  I make cables all
the time and the wires are always stiff enough to line them up and get
them to seat all the way into the plug.  Are the wires bending on you
when you try to seat them?  You are trying to get them all in there at
once right?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin