[ale] Cat-5 question

Scott Castaline hscast at charter.net
Mon Apr 10 09:19:01 EDT 2006

William Bagwell wrote:
> On Sunday 09 April 2006 03:27 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:
>
>> snips
>>

> (As usuall your answer is the most detailed.)
> Two tips I did not see mentioned by anyone, plus a comment. I allways trim
> the outer sheath to approximately the correct length, then "massage" it
> backwards for the extra room needed for fanning and arranging the inner
> wires in order. "Massaging" it back forward as the last step before
> crimping. This of course does not work for extremely sort cables... Also I
> have better luck doing a trial fit before re-trimming the the inner wires
> square. Don't have to seat them all the way, just far enough they are all
> in the same plane and any that want to back up in relation to the other
> wires have done so.
>

>> Now holding the wire sheath at the back of the
>> connector, push the sheath HARD until it extends up under the triangular
>> crimp bar and shove the whole thing into the crimp tool. Push the sheath
>> while squeezing the crimper at first then switch to a 2 handed grip on
>> the crimper unless you have hands like meathooks and can break walnuts
>> one handed!
>>

> Sounds like you have met my father-in-law. A retired brick mason. But he
> would never be able to get the little wires lined up. Hard enough for
> normal folks...

I don't know if they still make them anymore, but there used to be a 2
piece RJ-45 connector. The one piece was for holding the wires inplace
and was like a suitcase would open up for placing the wires and then
snap shut holding them in place. You then inserted this into the RJ-45
shell and crimped. Expensive but for those that just ain't got what is
needed to do it the ol' fashion way. Of course it's even easier to the
wall jack and patch cable route. That does allow for better sealing off
the opening for those who practice energy efficiency ;^).