[ale] Cat-5 question

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Sun Apr 9 22:53:08 EDT 2006

> Now I really don't think it matters a rat's ass what order is used
> as long as both ends of the cable are identical.

While -mostly- true for short cables, the different colored pairs are
twisted at different 'twist per foot' rates, to provide different
inductance and capacitance levels for different frequency ranges of
signals.

Most crucial spec:  the same pair must be used for
pins 1/2  and 3/6. Typically w/Orange  and 2/Green.
you'll see measurable/testable differences
(if testing wiring or running long cable lengths)
if you use the other wire pairs.