[ale] Cat-5 question

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 9 20:48:03 EDT 2006

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

>Boy, oh boy, do I need some help.
>Needed to string more Cat-5 cable under the house. Had to chop off
>one plug to get the wire through the holes already bored in the
>house's structure. ("She who must be consulted" has ruled that no
>more half-inch holes may be bored in walls or floors.)
>So how do I attach a new rj-45 plug to the cable?
>
>I have the crimper and a handful of the plugs. But I have tried
>and tried and I can not get all eight tiny wires inside the plug,
>nicely lined up in their proper grooves, and shoved all the way
>to the end -- that's the really tricky part.
>
>I got close enough once to actually get the green light on the
>ethernet card to blink rapidly for about 10 seconds before it gave
>up.  Either there is some trick tool I don't own that makes this
>job easier, or I need the hands and eyesight of a 12-year-old
>Persian rug maker.
>
>Are all eight wires actually used?
>
>How do people do this who do it for a living?
>
>Sean

LOL
Actually it isn't that hard.  but I will say some wire is easier than
others.

I  strip the outter covering back to give me more room to work.
Line up the wires nicely and in order holding them tight.
Measure out a RJ45 connect by holding ht ewires next to it.
Then with a good pair of cuttes make the cut, being usre that it is at
90 degrees.
Then slide the wires in carefully.
Crimp.

It does take practice.