[ale] Cat-5 question

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Apr 9 15:22:59 EDT 2006

With appologies for nitpicking.

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 15:09 -0400, David Corbin wrote:
> >
> > What I remember doing, is tyring to get all the wires in the right
> > order, and
> > flat, and the just training them by rubbing thumb and forefinger, and
> > pulling
> > over it several times.  Once they lay flat, but not fanned a little
> > bit, it's
> > not too hard to get them int the connector.  They also need to all be
> > the
> > exact same length.  I think I tend to clip them once they're
> > flattened.
>
> 1.  Remove the outer jacket of the CAT-5 by about .5" or more
> 2.  Untwist all wires
> 3.  straighten them and align them.
>     1. Orange/White
>     2. Orange
>     3. Green/White
>     4. Blue
>     5. Blue/White
>     6. Green
>     7. Brown/White
>     8. Brown
> 4.  Dry fit in connector
> 5.  Trim to fit
> 6.  Crimp

6a. Test If pass proceed else loop to step 1.

> 7.  Use

I don't make many cables, but I did learn to test them early on. The
little test box isn't very expensive, and has saved me some amount of
trouble.

YMMV of course, and with practice (and practice and practice...) the
number of goofy crimps will go down.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown