[ale] shifting permissions

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Apr 4 16:32:59 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 15:02, Jerry Yu wrote:
| simply 'mount /media/widget' may get you through.

To be specific,
I insert the Thumb Drive into the USB slot on front of the
box.  Ten seconds later a Konky window pops up titled
"system:/media/sdb1 (it's empty) with an error message box
overlayed atop it. The error message is:
| Could not mount device.
| The reported error was:
| mount: only root can mount /dev/sdb1 on /media/widget

The appropriate line in /etc/fstab reads this way:

/dev/sdb1	/media/widget	vfat 	noauto,owner,nodev,
gid-users,uid-nobody,quiet,umask=2 0 0

If I try to mount the thing myself:

[kilpatms at sarge ~]$ mount /dev/sdb1
mount: only root can mount /dev/sdb1 on /media/widget

Obviously enough, the same error occurs if I try to mount
/media/widget as any user other than root.

I finally got it to work yesterday, but I now can't remember how
the hell I did it!?! But then yesterday was a really Bad Day. (tm)

Ah, yes. Now I remember; I have an icon on the Desktop labeled
"Widget" which runs the command "openProfile filemanagement
file:///media/widget" This icon actually represents a "Desktop
Config File."

I find it interesting that the mount command does not list the
drive as mounted when the window is open. Nor, for that matter,
when the window is closed. Trying to be cautious and not screw
up the file system on the Thumb Drive, I nevertheless try to
umount the device: <umount /dev/sdb1> and get this messge:

umount: /dev/sdb1 is not mounted (according to mtab)

I remain essentially clueless.

SEan