[ale] Socket A Processors

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sat Apr 1 11:56:06 EST 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 10:40 am, Calvin Harrigan wrote:
>snips
> The L2 cache was the same 256K,
> the only XP to have more was the barton core, which had 512K.

Can neither confirm nor deny which core is which, but the L2 cache makes a
huge difference! Before my son bought RAM for his box, he was borrowing a
stick out of my machine. Being the wrong bus speed (266 verses 333) his
board auto under clocked his XP 2500+ to slightly less than my XP 1800+.
(Bought over a year apart) Booted into identical operating systems, his was
*noticeably* faster. Several seconds faster on "piggy" apps like the Gimp
or OpenOffice...

Very little, if any, additional gain after upgrading the RAM and increasing
700 "+" (actually just over 300 real) MHz.
--
William