[ale] First Linux Tablet PC w/ pen/stylus input: Raven X41 Tablet

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 29 23:19:05 EDT 2005

This is way cool!
Dow

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: "Lincoln D. Durey" <lincoln at EmperorLinux.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Sep 29, 2005 12:35 PM
To: EL-Announce <EmperorLinux-Announce at lists.EmperorLinux.com>
Cc: EmperorLinux <emperor at EmperorLinux.com>
Subject: [EmperorLinux-Announce] First Linux Tablet PC w/ pen/stylus input:	"Raven" X41 Tablet:

Portable Linux Enthusiast,

EmperorLinux announces the first Linux Tablet PC that is fully functional
under Linux.  The Raven X41 Tablet with Linux pre-configured is based on
the Thinkpad X41 by Lenovo. http://www.EmperorLinux.com/mfgr/ibm/raven/
It is technically a convertible, as you can use it as a laptop, or flip the
LCD panel around, rotate the X display, pull out the pen/stylus and start
writing in tablet mode (all in Linux of course!).

Is the tablet part functional under Linux ? Yes.
Does the tablet work in both portrait and landscape mode in Linux ? Yes.
Can I save whatever I scribble on the tablet to text in Linux ? Yes.
Can I use the tablet like a digital white-board in Linux ? Yes.
Does the Biometric Fingerprint scanner work in Linux ? Yes.

Complete Raven specifications, accessories, pricing, and availability
are listed on our web-site: http://www.EmperorLinux.com/mfgr/ibm/raven/

New features / functions specific to the Raven X41 Tablet w/ Linux:
http://www.EmperorLinux.com/mfgr/ibm/raven/?tab=x41_tablet
(This after several weeks of intensive R&D effort)

* pen/stylus input to screen (in Xorg)
  * as a mouse pointer
  * as a pen / stylus
* ability to hand-write commands on-screen with stylus
  (converts handwriting to ascii text in the focus area)
* available handwriting recognition suite
  (trained conversion of handwritten text images to ascii text)
* pen has pressure sensitivity in Gimp
* screen can be rotated to portrait orientation
* special BlueKeys support when Raven X41 is folded into tablet
  configuration:
  * scroll Up/Down, Enter, ESC, and Toolbox keys
  * Toolbox Key (toolbox plugin to "EmpTool" tool suite to access LCD
    brightness up/down, volume up/down, backlight, wifi kill, etc)

* integrated Biometric Fingerprint scanner works in Linux
* train your fingerprints, and use them to login (PAM / GDM / login ...)

Now, that said, all of the handwriting features will require some training,
but with carefull training, are very nearly as good as the "Windows
Journal" at this time.

The usual EmperorLinux functions / features with full Linux support:
http://www.EmperorLinux.com/mfgr/ibm/raven/

* ACPI hibernate to disk (swsusp)
* wireless 802.11 b/g or a/b/g (internal wifi , w/ dual antennas)
* BlueKeys function keys support (LCD brightness, Volume, wifi kill, ext
VGA, hibernate, ...)
* CPU throttling (based on usage environment)
* sound, gigabit ethernet, USB, CardBus (PCMCIA), ...

EmperorLinux provides full hardware support for the Raven X41 Tablet
running Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise, Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, and SuSE.
Full hardware support under all these Linux distributions is made possible
by the "empkernel", the custom built Linux kernel for laptops from
EmperorLinux.  http://www.EmperorLinux.com/kernel/

Of course the system can also be configured dual-boot Linux/Windows with a
shared data partition if required.  http://www.EmperorLinux.com/dualboot/

Each Raven X41 Tablet comes with one year of unlimited phone and email
technical support from the very same EmperorLinux wizards that configured
your machine in the first place.  We also include a very detailed users
manual that is specific to the Linux distro we have installed on your
system.  http://www.EmperorLinux.com/quality/value/manual/

Feel free to call or email if you have any technical questions, or are
ready to get a quote or place an order.

For the latest (daily) updates to the features / functions specific to the
Raven X41 Tablet w/ Linux, and images (soon), please go here:
http://www.EmperorLinux.com/mfgr/ibm/raven/?tab=x41_tablet

	- Lincoln

"Lincoln's Logbook", is an informative look at interesting things you
can do with Linux on a portable, and our "Announce" list will keep you
up-to-date about all our new services/systems/distros as they come out.

|  Lincoln D. Durey, Ph.D.  |  Phone:    1-888-651-6686            |
|   Electrical Engineer     |  in GA:    (770)-612-1205            |
|     EmperorLinux, Inc.    |  Fax:      (770)-612-1210            |
|     900 Circle 75 Pkwy.   |  web:      www.EmperorLinux.com      |
|     Suite 1380            |  support:  support at EmperorLinux.com  |
|     Atlanta, GA 30339     |  email:    lincoln at EmperorLinux.com  |