[ale] Cron Job that will not run

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Sep 27 20:39:49 EDT 2005

Jeb Barger wrote:

> I have checked the docs and google the problem and I am at wits end.  I
> have shell file that will not run in cron.  It works when I run it
> manually.  I am lazy and used webmin to schedule the job to run hourly,
> however, it doesn't.  I checked crontab and the hourly dir and it's
> there and scheduled.  Any ideas?
>
> I running mandrake 10.2 if that makes a difference.

First thing to check is env.  The cron env is limited, thus it might be
failing because of path issues.  Do you get any email regarding the job?
  Redirect some info to stderr and stdout.  You should receive email
with this info.

Also, take the same approach with a very simple script to see if maybe
there's something wrong with the webmin scheduling.  Something like:

date > /tmp/crontest

--
Until later, Geoffrey