[ale] SystemRescueCD got only one shot!

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Tue Sep 27 15:36:49 EDT 2005

ALErs -

I just used 'systemrescuecd-0.2.15' and 'ntfsresize-1.9.2' to shrink a
laptop's XP-home filesystem down to 10 Gby. All went fine including
post-shrinkage file checks and reboots by XP. XP now boots cleanly and comes
up fine,
                                 ... BUT ...
my SystemRescueCD _WILL_NOT_BOOT again. All looks OK, up until:

* Starting USB and PCI hotplugging
Oops: 0000
 ... Yadada yadada ...
/etc/hotplug/pci.agent: line 173:  Segmentation fault ...
(7)eth0: no IPv6 routers present

My first (well, second) thought* was that ill-luck had damaged my CD copy,
so I made a fresh one. It crashes identically to the first. Knoppix boots
fine.

* My _first_ thought was really: "$%^&#@*!!! ???"

Any idea what's happening here? I'm going to install Linux - probably
SuSe-9.3 - so this isn't necessarily a show-stopper (esp. since WinXP seems
to run as well as ever ;-), but
I would like to know what's going on!

TIA.

 - Mills