[ale] HOW2 use -> documentation of ~.tex files ?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Sep 26 23:57:44 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 23:22 -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> Thanks James.
>
> BTW, I got Elmer compiled. Thanks for your interest.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Had an out of town guest perform
in my house this weekend for a house concert. Glad it's working.

> Once I install latex, then what,... just use it to process the *.tex
> files and latex'll then output some *.ps or *.pdf files ?
>
> When you describe latex output as fantastic, to what exactly are you
> referring ?

It produces output ready for commercial publication. Up until recently,
most scientific journal wanted papers submitted as .tex files.

TeX (and derivatives: LaTeX, TeTeX, etc) is  different mindset from word
processing. In TeX you write simple text files that are the body of your
work. Then your a formatting document that describes the paper size,
margins, attributes of things like tables, graphs, figures. And then you
use that to "include" external text files for the actual document text.
It completely separates the content for the layout. Once done, the
document is compiled into its final form (or often and intermediate form
that can be readily converted into postscript, PDF, HTML, SGML, docbook,
manpages, nearly anything with the right filters).

Sql-Ledger uses it to produce all of its PDF and Postscript output for
printing and email inclusions.

Just as Perl has CPAN, TeX has www.ctan.org. It is still actively
produced. It is also a nice addition to ones geek code ratings.