[ale] WiFi PC Card Market -- native drivers for DLink DWL-G122 series

Sean C. Johnson sean at scj.net
Mon Sep 26 15:47:39 EDT 2005

On Sunday 25 September 2005 07:54 pm, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 06:56:18PM -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> > I was really hoping for something from the walk-in-and-buy-it world...
>
> If you're interested in a USB plugin unit that works at 802.11b speed,
> eg, 54 Mbit/s, I've recently bought a DLink DWL-G122 adapter, and am
> using it with a DLink DI-524 wireless/wired router at the other end.
> As far as I know this is the ONLY one of the small -b speed adapters
> that do work with Linux.

 I know the original poster wanted a card not USB solution, but just for
completeness, i have this DLink DWL-G122 802.11g USB card. Box says hardware
version (H/W ver: B1). It works great and i have had no problems on my Ubuntu
system.

USB id (from lsusb): ID 2001:3c00 D-Link Corp. [hex]

> There is no native driver for Linux - you must use the Windows driver
> under ndiswrapper.  However, it seems to work well.

DLink does not have a native driver, but the chip-set manufacturer has
released native drivers into the open source community and is eager to
develop workable solutions here:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The forums are active and there is good support for any questions you might
have. There were several forum posts that could help get the driver installed
and working, I found this post to be the most direct and helpful:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=233

Hope this helps other people looking for wireless and saves them several hours
of searching!

Regards,

Sean Johnson