[ale] Actiontec DSL modem and Smoothwall: Success!

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Sep 25 08:50:50 EDT 2005

Modem is now in full bridged mode with Smoothwall handling everything.
Not only are the computers that had the weird DNS issues now working, the
two that worked before (on all sites) are now much faster with almost no
latency. Whatever the "Actiontec GT704-GT Gateway" was doing for DNS, it
was doing it *very* poorly.

Apparently I was the first (at least with problems) using this odd
combination and had to piece together all the various settings from
multiple sources. Have started writting them down while they are fresh on
my mind. Plan to clean it up and post them to a few places so no one else
has to go through what I just did!

Thanks go to Geoffrey on this list, various posters on the SW and
broadbandreports forums, and strangely, the Madison Wisconsin LUG. (Which
came up repeatedly in my Google searches. Probably because of the high
concentration of TDS users.)
--
William