[ale] Mandriva upgrade problem

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Thu Sep 22 18:25:45 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

I have a home desktop that I am trying to upgrade from MDK 9.2 to 2005
(10.2)  The upgrade seemed to go fine but when it was time to reboot it
hangs at "mounting smb file systems".  It is already at runlevel 5 by
this time and should be starting the x server but it never gets that
far.

I have tried to use a standalone CD to boot and disable smb.conf or
some other quick repair but of the three disks I have, Knoppix, Ubuntu,
and mandrake move only Knoppix will boot. This would be great but it
comes up in German and I can't make vi work.  (I can start it but I
can't get insert mode and ESC shift-: won't work)

Soooo, is there a way I can fix this from the install disks?

Other ideas?

Thanks

Mark