[ale] Linux on new laptops

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 22 01:28:25 EDT 2005

I have a new Compal EFL30.  It was bought as a branded Intrex laptop but is made by the ODM, Compal.  Personally, I love it now that I've figured out the initial problems.  It was $1600 with a 3 yr warranty.  Has 1.23Gb RAM, 80Gb HD, DVD ROM/CD-RW, 1280x768 TFT, builtin web cam, firewire port, 4 USB ports, builtin LAN, soft modem (SUSE 93 friendly), PCMCIA slot, SD/MMC/MS Pro card slot, 4 button touchpad (Elantech), miniPCI wifi ipw2200 B/G, and a very pretty prescratched up looking white enamel coating.  So, I think you'd like this one.  The battery life is about 3 hours or so.  The ACPI battery module is what was giving me the problems.  By not allowing it to be modprobe'd during boot, I've gotten a stable mouse and reliable operation.  The builtin electronics in the BIOS and battery let me know via sound and LED that the battery is getting low so I didn't really need the battery module functions anyway.  The CPU frequency module works great for saving on the battery life.  Oops!  The battery is getting low so I've got to go.
Later,
Dow