[ale] Smoothwall with DSL. was Speedfactory dropping USENET news

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sun Sep 18 11:43:44 EDT 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 01:09 pm, Geoffrey wrote:
> William Bagwell wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 September 2005 11:14 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> >>The firewall get's the ip, and I nat everything behind it.  It's quite
> >>simple to setup.  You can do it during installation of smoothwall, or
> >>you can configure it after you've installed it.  All you need is the
> >>auth. info which the isp provides.
> >
> > So I just leave the DSL box un-configured and Smoothwall communicates
> > *through* it, not *to* it?
>
> I'm confused I guess.  This is your connection:

Apologies for not getting back to this sooner. The only confusion on your
part is that Smoothwall is not involved with the second (weird DNS)
problem. Rest of the confusion was mine:)

Status on both problems.
Smoothwall: The second nic (which repaced the modem for red) was bad. Lit
the lights on both ends so I assumed it worked.... Will pick one up on the
way to work tonight.

DNS issue: Still there, still weird. Basically on hold at the moment, my
daughter uses Google by IP address and my computer for her few other
affected sites. (Since her good computer was the one killed by lightning,
any excuse to use a fast box is OK with her) Still hoping going back to SW
as DNS will eliminate this. Everything worked great that way for a year,
and nothing else I have tried has had any effect.

>snip (confusion)

Appreciate the help, and will start *single* threads for *individual*
problems in the future!
--
William