[ale] BellSouth DSL setup

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Thu Sep 15 09:23:42 EDT 2005

Jim -

I used a MsWin box to set up the BS modem and start up a friend's account.
Thereafter you can connect anything that eats DHCP, I think. Their installer
creates a new directory with a moderately large set of files: docs,
junkware, etc; but none of this is needed for normal operations. In my case
I also wanted to know IPs for the BS nameservers. BS' phone droids
ultimately told me the IPs, but not without my insisting that I _really_
needed to know them.

Another ALEr late last spring or early this summer, kindly provided a link
to the manufacturer's configuration manual for BS' most commonly supplied
modem. Fairly straight-forward browser-based configuration, IIRC. (It has a
decent set of router and firewall functions, but my paranoid heart suspects
BS can possibly reconfigure it from upstream.)

The thread primarily addressed using a consumer firewall/router behind the
BS modem and gave helpful suggestions in that regard. Search the mail list
or write me if you can't turn it up.

Cheers.

 - JMM