[ale] cheap network attached storage?

David Hamm ale at spinnerdog.com
Sat Sep 10 07:36:14 EDT 2005

The Tiger Direct Link you sent has the Buffalo LinkStations listed and they
can also be purchased off the shelf at Frys.  The Linkstations are more
expensive than USB drives but are Linux running on an SBC with an IDE drive
connected. The OS can be replaced with Debian and running "apt-get install
rsync" will install rsync on the box.  You can find howto docs at

http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/PPCFreeLinkToDebian

Buffalo also offers a version of the product called Kuro Box.  The Kuro Box
comes without a hard drive and can have Gentoo or Debian loaded.