[ale] pxeboot for ibook

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Sep 9 10:54:33 EDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> I have a need to install yellowdog onto a lime green ibook. But I need
> to do it with pxeboot (netboot) as the CD drive is flaky. I know how to
> start the netboot process (hold down "N" during boot or with command
> line from openfirmware). What I don't find is any info on pxe linux
> kernel for ppc.
>
> I have done this process before but for x86 systems using the pxeboot
> that ships with redhat/fedora systems. That kernel will clearly not work
> on a ppc chip.
>
> Do I need to compile a pxeboot kernel? Can I just use the vmlinux kernel
> from the yellowdog disks after modifying the yaboot.cfg file to point to
> net: instead of cd: ?
>
> I can't believe I have spent _this_ much time on a"found" laptop. But
> it's for the local PTA group to access their web site and mailing list
> and accounting reports.
>
> No, they can't "just use the OS 9.1 that's loaded on it". It won't run
> Firefox. The system won't upgrade to OSX due to the flaky firewire bus.
> I was able to start an install of yellowdog and the CD drive failed
> _after_ the hard drive had been reformatted and before the first disk
> was finished. :-(

Admittedly I don't know about network booting such a beast. If I recall,
however, there is a USB port on that thing. Is it possible to boot from a
cd drive on USB without pulling your hair out, or boot from a USB hard
drive? I don't know my Apple hardware well enough to be other than
guessing unfortunately.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown