[ale] Upgrading KDE

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Sep 8 09:51:36 EDT 2005

I've tried upgrades but only once.  Here is what I do.

# cd /
# mkdir SuSE-9_2
# mv bin/ root/ dev/ ... SuSE-9_2

You'll need to use a recovery CD to make this happen.  But do that and
then when you install new tell the installer _not_ to format the FS.  I
have a ShuttleX and wanted to swap drives to install FC3.  After I gave
up due to the difficulty of getting the drive out I resorted to this
method and will never go back.  This allows me to keep my old install on
the same disk so I can back it up at my leisure.