[ale] OT: Speedfactory dropping USENET news

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Sep 7 08:24:30 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 00:58 -0400, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> James, I think you made my point.  It's best to avoid DSL if you want to use VOIP easily.

I would argue that the ease of VOIP use is dependent on the DSL
provider. As I am a Speakeasy customer, PPPoE is not spoken here so VOIP
is literally a plug-n-play operation.

For the multitudes using BellSouth or Earthlink DSL, they will need to
have a way to authenticate to the provider.

Cable modem users will also need a way to authenticate to their provider
as well. It's just that cable modem uses MAC address as authentication.
So a VOIP user will _still_ need a box to provide authentication to the
system.