[ale] Sharing non-network-capable printer

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 19:30:19 EDT 2005

On 9/6/05, Randy C. Ramsdell <rramsdell at adelphia.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 17:23 -0400, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > Is it possible to share a printer that is not a network printer? I
> > have a Linux box in one room with a physically attached (via USB)
> > Epson Stylux C84 and an Apple Mac Mini in another room that I want to
> > be able to use this printer.
> >
> > Is it possible to make this printer available to the Mac? The Mac
> > access the net wirelessly via a Netgear wireless router to which my
> > other machines are physically connected via Ethernet cables.
> >
> > Thanks.

> I use a Linksys wireless print server and attach it with velcro to the
> side of a hp4000 printer. It works flawlessly and any system can print
> to it. Print server traffic is routed through a wireless router, but you
> can direct connect.

I second that. I have a little Hawking print server attached to my printer
and plugged into the network. Before that I used a wireless router with a
printer port. The wireless print server will work well, too. I think mine
cost me about $70 (the price of a printer nowadays!) I haven't checked
prices, lately, but I know you can get them for USB printers.

Michael