[ale] Refill ink cartridge, go to jail!!

Howard A Story adrin at haswes.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 6 08:37:34 EDT 2005

Geoffrey wrote:

>Brian Hartsfield wrote:

>>>send

>>>As laws go, in general, yes. If you're driving down the road and you
>>>forget the speed limit is 45 and you're caught doing 65, you will get a
>>>ticket.
>>>

>>My problem with that is that normal rebates are based on the assumption that
>>most people will not take the time to send it in. Now you make a "prebate"
>>and the same assumption has to apply - that most people are not going to
>>send it in. So what is the point?
>>

>No, it's certainly different.  When you get a rebate coupon, that's all
>you have.  You have gained no value.  With the prebate, they are giving
>you the value up front with a promise that you'll do your part when the
>time comes.
>

>>To sue people who don't follow
>>instructions to the letter or just the people who refill?
>>

>Good question.  It depends on the wording.
>

>>The example is not
>>a good analogy since if you are driving it is easy to control you speed.
>>Here, you are forcing people to go out of their way to do something (mail a
>>cartridge back) which is not part of their normal routine.
>>

>Driving the speed  limit may not be a part of their routine either.
>I've always had a heavy foot and have to work at driving within the
>legal speed limit.
>

>>A better car
>>anology would be telling people if they are out of gas they cannot stop
>>anywhere but have to come to station X to refuel even if that is out of
>>their way.
>>

>Sounds like a Microsoft solution. :)  If you make such a stupid legal
>agreement, then you are likely bound by it.  IANAL, so don't take that
>to court on my account.
>
>I don't know the whole story, but I'd doubt that they'll sue folks who
>fail to return, more likely, those who refill.  I really don't know.
>I'm not saying it's right mind you, I was addressing the question of
>breaking the law.
>
>Consumers simply need to react with their wallet.  Don't buy their
>products and let them know why, every chance you get.
>

>>I still don't like this prebate thing at all.
>>

>I don't either.

Sounds to me like,  If you have a Lexmark printer.  You need to pay cash
for your ink.   Mine was a gift.  I will NEVER buy a product from them.
Just because of the last lawsuit they did to a ink cart. remanufactor.
They want to be in their own world let them.  And whenever someone ask
me about Lexmark printers, they get my recommendations.

Adrin