[ale] Find IP-address from MAC address

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 08:26:12 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 09:39 +0200, Rene Rasmussen wrote:

> I have a machine and a crossover cable I'm gonna use. This negates the
> possibility of false hits.

If all you want to do is detect the one host on the otherside of the
crossover cable (assuming the other host is already configured to some
extent), then all you need to do is set your interface to something like
10.10.10.10, run tcpdump, and reboot the other host.  When the other
host reboots it should generate some traffic that should tell you what
it's subnet is at least.  Maybe I missed this earlier, what exactly is
the other host? (router?)

-Jim P.