[ale] can the gnu compiler be installed on a [ro] system running from CD ?

Courtney Thomas cc.thomas at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 31 14:48:37 EST 2005

Greg,

Thank you for the reply.

You are correct that Suee instantiates a ramdisk supported by the CD.

But, for example, when I attempt to

	rpm -ivh <whatever>

I get

	error:	cannot open <whatever> with db3:	Read Only file system (30)

I'm, perhaps wrongly, assuming that rpm is trying to use the CD filesystem to
install the <whatever>.rpm and needs to write to a filesystem that happens to
be on the CD.

I'd be pleased to be informed otherwise  :-)

Cordially,
Courtney