[ale] can the gnu compiler be installed on a [ro] system running from CD ?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:40:35 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, Courtney Thomas <cc.thomas at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Since the basic OS is RO, how can the gnu compiler be installed, or can it ?
>
> If yes, HOW ?
>
> BTW, Suse90, if it matters.

Are you talking about remastering the CD.  If so, there is at least
one webpage that describes the process.  Google for Jigdo SuSE.  Jigdo
is a remastering tool.  I don't know if there are 9.0 specific
instructions or not.

If you are talking abut installing gcc after you boot and then having
the install destroyed at the next powerdown, I think you can setup a
fairly simple script on a USB dongle to do that.  You would just mount
the USB dongle and run your install script.

FYI: I'm not sure that the root volume on a SUSE liveCD is actually
read-only.  I thought that a rather unusual ram disk was instantiated
that was backed by the CD.  Unmodified data comes from CD, but any
time a write is performed the data is maintained in RAM and used for
future writes.  Obviously any activity is lost at reboot time, but
given that it is Linux that may be a long time.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group