[ale] OT: Erasing a toasted drive

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Oct 28 16:29:34 EDT 2005

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> Ultimately, this type problem has a bearing on why I _don't_ care for
> guarentees on my computer equipment - there are frequently issues which
> get in the way and cost as much time as just a flat replacement at retail
> cost. YMMV of course, and I've got sufficient spares I can afford
> something being down.

I'm much the same way.  I void many warranties simply getting into the
hardware.  My sony vaio laptop drive went bad while still under
warranty, but rather then do without, I simply replaced the drive
myself.  Sure, cost me $100, but that's a small price in comparison to
the lost work time I would have lost.

--
Until later, Geoffrey