[ale] OT: Erasing a toasted drive

Michael Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 10:36:01 EDT 2005

John Wells wrote:

> Guys,
>
> My Dell laptop hard drive crashed two days ago.
>
> Fortunately, the laptop is still under warranty, so they're shipping me a
> free replacement. However, I'm obligated to ship them back the failed
> drive, and I'm uncomfortable allowing the prioprietary source code
> contained on the drive to leave my hands. It may be Dell simply throws the
> failed drives away, but I'm not so sure.
>
> Have any of you faced a similar situation, and if so, what did you do?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Note:  While I have no first-hand knowledge of how this process works, I
know that it's at least mostly possible.

A Linux kernel compiled with "IDE Taskfile" in the kernel is capable of
reaching really low-level into the drive, in theory bypassing the levels
that recognize read/write errors.  If that's 100% correct, that means
that you should be able to erase most, if not all, of the drive's
contents by writing to the taskfile device that is created.

As I understand it, however, this is essentially giving you "raw" access
to the drive, meaning that you must issue the commands yourself for
performing actions.  This gives you the possibility of "low-level
formatting" the drive (which nowadays, if attempted, generally renders
the drive totally inoperable).  You can also do a crazy number of things
like attempt to force the heads too far -- though the firmware may stop
you if you try that.  It used to be possible in the dark ages.  :-)

    Good luck,
    Mike