[ale] difference among Seagate, WesternDigital & Maxtor ?

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:31:07 EDT 2005

> Oh. I almost forgot. I tend to spec SCSI for systems where downtime is
> not an option (and I have ample fan space in the box). SCSI drives have
> a 5 year warranty (for a good reason). The best of the SATA drives
> (seagate w/8MB cache 7200 rpm) have a 3. The best of the IDE drives
> (seagate w/8MB cache 7200rpm) have a 3 as well. Since the bandwidth from
> the PCI bus is 4-6 time faster than a SATA drive, a 4 drive SATA card
> will make maximum use of the bus system. Now the bottleneck is disk IO.

Actually, some of the Seagate PATA IDE drives also have a 5 year warranty.
Otherwise I would have forced myself over to the SCSI side somehow. I know
the ones in my current "server" are 5 year.

I have had nothing but grief from Maxtor drives. I have not spec'd a
> Maxtor SCI.

Maxtor and Quantum have never been good to me. Interestingly, I think a lot
of that is more the Quantum aspect rather than the Maxtor -- not long after
the acquisition is when I really had issues with Maxtor's stuff at work --
probably the Quantum stuff renamed.

Worst experience: Quantum Fireballs: we had 10Gb versions, and a run of only
10 computers, but of those 10, only 2 ended up with the original drives
still in them. Of the 8 that died, 5-6 had a hole blown in one of the chips
that was not there originally.

I thought the line name fit perfectly... :-)
bnm