[ale] difference among Seagate, WesternDigital & Maxtor ?

tejus at vijedi.net tejus at vijedi.net
Tue Oct 25 10:59:10 EDT 2005

I've never had a hard-drive fail (knocks on wood) but for a desktop system,
I'd take seagate over everything else.  The reason? Noise.

The seagate's are barely audible when idling and just a soft tapping when
active.  My maxtor's sound like a high-speed notebook fan while idling and
like somebody using one of those old IBM "clicky" keyboards when it's
actually doing work.

The few WD drives I have are in noisy and/or out of the way places, so I
don't know how they compare.

Tejus