[ale] Connecting with SUSE 10.0

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Mon Oct 24 13:44:59 EDT 2005

On Mon October 24 2005 12:29 am, Terry Bailey wrote:
> I am new to this group, but I have been working on a problem for
> three days and have not been able to solve it. ?I just installed
> SUSE 10.0 and I am duel booting with Windows XP.

welcome to the group!! I haven't been here that long either. Mine is a
dual boot system also, XP/SUSE 9.3 ( 10 is in the mail from Amazon).
I THOUGHT about hooking in my router but I couldn't get it to work. I
do remember seeing instructions on this somewhere, but I can't
remember where...

> On SUSE I have tried DHCP and the static mode. ?But neither one
> works. I can ping the NIC but that's it. ?Windows gets out OK.
I did find this on a message board somewhere..

cmd
	hey, i have verizon dsl, in a linksys router and i have Red hat 9,
could anybody plz help me set up my linux so that i can connect to the
internet with the router and verizon dsl? what do i have to do? thanks
everybody

deepsix
	go to the routers internal pages and set it up accordingly........
(read your book that came with the router for this) make sure its all
hooked up correctly.....
go to system settings network in the start menu........set up your
network card to automagically receive ip from dhclient..........then
enable the device...... it should pick up its ip......and you should
be on the internet........

here is another thread I had with someone on suse-e list:

?If your router is a typical Linksys router, you should be good to go.
Your router should have built-in PPPoE connection capability. ?You
should be
able to go to your Linksys setup screen, find where the connection is
>define, and find some sort of drop-down box where you select the type
of
connection. ?Mine shows "Obtain an IP automatically", "Static IP",
"PPPoE","PPTP". ?I have two ISPs, one cable modem and one DSL. ?I use
"Obtain an IP automatically" for the cable modem AND "PPPoE" for the
DSL. ?Whether your ISP provides a modem or it is of the newer types
without a modem, I would think that would be transparent to your
router, since Greg Freemeyer indicates it's still PPPoE. ?I would
assume the only difference would be that you'd just plug directly to
the phone jack for IFDL instead of them supplying you a modem to
connect through.
? ? ?There is an additional setting on my DSL, which I assume is
typical
(it's a Linksys). ?I have a choice of one of the following --

1) ?Connect on Demand: ?Max Idle Time n min.
2) ?Keep Alive: ?Redial Period n sec.

You select one of these and then supply a number for n. ?On my machine,
have found it works best with option 1 with a setting of 9999, meaning,
basically, keep it alive forever and, if disconnected for some reason,
automatically attempt to re-connect if I "demand" a connection (I e.,
if the
connection gets dropped and I try to go to the web, automatically try
reconnect me).
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800