[ale] Slackware v10.2 compile woes

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 24 15:13:36 EDT 2005

Geoffrey;

Ended up putting the HD with the new installation of slack into another system.  The interesting thing is that I had a spare drive with Slack v7.1 that I had saved to be able to clone other copies from if necessary.  Slapped it in the offending machine and everyting worked and compiled fine.

Me thinks is was a simple case of the hardware just not playing well with the latest version of GCC.  Everything that was precompiled worked fine.  Go to compile, and the errors were such that I couldn't really track the faults, as they changed with every run of "make"

So, the old machine will be retired.  It gave six years of solid service.  I suppose it was time.

V/r

Bob