[ale] Connecting with SUSE 10.0

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Oct 24 07:57:04 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 00:29 -0400, Terry Bailey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this group, but I have been working on a problem for three
> days and have not been able to solve it.  I just installed SUSE 10.0
> and I am duel booting with Windows XP.
>
> On SUSE I have tried DHCP and the static mode.  But neither one works.
> I can ping the NIC but that's it.  Windows gets out OK.
>
> I am on a small home network using a Linksys WRT54G router hooked to a
> DSL modem.  I can not even ping the router which has an IP of
> 192.168.1.1.  The IP address of the PC and the addresses of the DNS
> servers come down OK with DHCP.  On DHCP, I have to manually enter the
> gateway address.  I am wondering if it is the firewall setting, but I
> have tried most everything with  that.
>
> Any help someone can give me would be appreciated.

Run /sbin/ifconfig and post what you get. That will show if networking
is even started at all. Also run netstat -rn  to find the routing
gateway. Then do /sbin/lsmod  and try to locate the running module for
your NIC driver. shutdown networking, and unload your NIC driver
with /sbin/rmmod <module> then reload it with /sbin/insmod <module> and
run dmesg and look at the last several lines to see if the module loaded
OK.