[ale] ssh stalls (OT - cygwin)

Alan Dobkin ALE at MaestroIT.com
Sat Oct 22 20:36:26 EDT 2005

On 10/21/2005 9:10 PM, David Corbin wrote:
> "ssh user at host ls c:/" succeeds, but "ssh user at host ls c:/ | wc -l" hangs.
> This definately varies for different machines, but we've not been able to
> figure out what is different between the machines

I don't have a direct answer to your problem, but I do have some
suggestions, especially if your problem always happens when you are
running commands against a non-Cygwin drive, like C:.  First, I would
recommend not using the "c:/" syntax, as it is not a posix path, and
therefore it is not supported in all Cygwin applications/commands.  The
proper syntax, by default (unless you change your mount points), is
"/cygdrive/c".  For more information, see this FAQ entry:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.accessing-drives

Secondly, this question seems a lot more appropriate for the Cygwin list
than the ALE list.  I'm not saying that to be draconian, but this is
definitely a Cygwin-specific question, and the list is actually very
active and usually quite helpful.  And, if this turns out to be a bug in
Cygwin, I'm sure they will want to know about it.

Lastly, have you tried running ssh and/or sshd in debug mode?  The
output could be very helpful in diagnosing the problem, especially right
before the time it hangs.

Alan