[ale] ssh stalls (OT - cygwin)

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Fri Oct 21 21:10:52 EDT 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 12:11 pm, Geoffrey wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:08, David Corbin wrote:
> >>This now appears to be a problem with 'unflushed buffers' on stdout
> >> somewhere between ruby and cygwin ssh.  Are there any ssh
> >> parameters/configuration options that say "do not buffer output"?
> >
> > I think it is more when a program is started and has an open descriptor
> > to the tty you are connected to.  This is what I see typically

> > local# ssh remote
> > remote# programd &
> > remote# exit
> >
> > This is where it hangs.
> > To break this sometimes I can do '~.' and sometimes that fails.  I'm not
> > sure why ssh would refuse my command to disconnect via that command.
> > When this happens my last resort is to simply use the kill command to
> > kill my ssh client on the local box.
>
> I wasn't paying much attention to this thread, but if you simply want to
> run a process on another box via ssh you should use:
>
> ssh -f remote command
>
> ssh will return and not wait for the command to complete.

But we do want to wait for it to complete.

In fact, we've actually boiled the problem down to this:

"ssh user at host ls c:/" succeeds, but "ssh user at host ls c:/ | wc -l" hangs.
This definately varies for different machines, but we've not been able to
figure out what is different between the machines