[ale] How do I get grub on an alternate disk?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 17:52:44 EDT 2005

On 10/18/05, ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>
wrote:

> I'm putting a new disk on my wife's computer. She dual boots with grub
> and I'm just going to hang the new disk off temporarily and dd partitions
> over to the new one. The only think I can't figure out is how to run grub
> to write the MBR so it will boot correctly when I make the new drive the
> default.
>
> Any suggestions? After I move the new disk in place, can I run Knoppix
> and somehow run grub using my menu?

That's exactly right. When you're done, remove the old disk and put in the
new one. Boot knoppix, or any other live CD, and mount your partitions at
/mnt. Now chroot to /mnt ("chroot mount").

At this point, your shell thinks it is running on your system with all the
proper paths in place. It's almost like you booted off the new disk.

now just grub-install.sh and you're done.

Michael