[ale] OT: dealing w/comcast

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:07:46 EDT 2005

the results are that my modem was going bad but not quite dead. convienently
enough I had previously bought a new one after a previous outage when the
callcenter person told me the old Toshiba I had was being desupported. they
dispatched a tech the next day for a problem w/massive HD pixellation who
said that was not true (re: old Toshiba being desupported) and that they
were actually more reliable than the newer ones (well, he was right about
the not desupported part, anyway:). I never bothered to switch over to the
new one because I did not see the need to spend 30 min on hold to give them
a chance to break something that was working. anyway, the tech (this time)
quickly diagnosed the problem and got the new modem registered and it's been
fine for a couple of days.

I understand they must deal with a lot of clueless customers and it's nearly
impossible to get compitent people to do call-center work even IF you're
willing to pay (Larry Ellison doesn't have enough to get me to - well, he
certainly wouldn't pay it anyway...) but when they tell you to things like
traceroute a domain when you've already told them DNS isn't working and
you're gettin >50% packet loss at the gateway... well, I don't have the
words for that... I'd have to get a PhD in linguistics to even find a
language with words to adequately describe that...

good luck!