[ale] How do I install 32 bit SuSe 9.3 on a 64 bit system?

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Tue Oct 11 09:01:18 EDT 2005

I've got this new Presario with a 64 bit AMD chip.  I installed Debian
on it, but never could get X configured.  I've always had better luck
with SuSe on unusual hardware so I installed 9.3.  Unfortunately it
installed a 64 bit kernel and other assorted 64 bit programs, but it
won't boot.  Now I'm trying to go back and install a 32 bit kernel and
can't figure out how to tell it to do just that.  It insists on
installing a 64 bit kernel.  I looked in the packages but there isn't a
package listed anywhere that suggests it is linux or kernel or whatever.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  I'm staring at the Yast screen,
"Installations settings" right now.  I'm booting from a minimal cdrom
and doing a network install.

Thanks,
Jim.