[ale] Seeking ways to getting around spyware on Windows

Randal Jarrett K4RSJ rsj at radio.org
Mon Oct 10 23:48:29 EDT 2005

When you do use Spybot, make sure that you select the the IE tweaks and
hosts file fix.

The IE tweak will lock IE from malicious changes. ( you should be using
Firefox
anyway).

The hosts file fix adds all the domain names that they know about and
points them
to 127.0.0.1 so you don't get most pop-ups.

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 13:39 -0400, Mills, John M. wrote:

> Jason -
>
> "Ounce of prevention ..." department:
>
> You may want to set up Spybot
> [http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html]. It is free,
> well-regarded, and has an "immunize" mode intended to shortstop some types
> of attack. The home site also has some background information to help folks
> recognize common traps - only works if the user pays attention, of course.
> (Same as advice like: "Don't play in traffic.")
>
> I've heard good reports, but have no experience on 'AdAware'; and the latest
> Microsoft offering is said to actually be useful.
>
> "... pound of cure." deparment:
>
> If you install from a CD, does it have a "Restore" function, or do you need
> a fresh copy automatically on each startup? If you can make a DVD, that
> would let you snapshot your fresh installation, and then something like
> Knoppix or SystemRescue CDs would let you freshen the installation with
> copies of earlier content.
>
> DISCLAIMER: I never tried doing this on a regular basis, though I have
> recovered trashed MsWin systems this way with Knoppix.

Randy Jarrett  K4RSJ
Randy's Ham Shack
<rsj at radio.org>