[ale] Seeking ways to getting around spyware on Windows

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 14:23:34 EDT 2005

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>>   1) Install Microsoft's AntiSpyware
>>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
>>      and SpyBot S&D (they compete AND complement each other).
>>      Set both up to auto run/update/etc.  Use them often.
>>
>>   2) Setup Windows Firewall to deny all, and check the "Don't
>>       allow exceptions" box.
>>

> The engineer and greybeard in me chafes at this.  If I need to take a
> measure to compensate for inherently defective software, why would I
> seek a solution from the people who created the software and made it
> defective in the first place?

Because no one else will for fear if they do that MS will compete with
them and run them out of business.  ;-)

> Are MS' AntiSpyware and Firewall software developed using the same
> methodology, priorities, and internal oversight as the operating system?

But of course.  Of course, if you look at the history of the WinNT (the
predecessor to WinXP) dev team I think you will see quite a bit of
development skills and methodologies, etc.  Just because they all work
for the same company doesn't mean they all do bad work.  Even with
Linux, you have to use a firewall or other means to control traffic and
viruses.  Btw, would you trust Linus and only Linus to write your Linux
AV and firewall?

-Jim P.