[ale] Seeking ways to getting around spyware on Windows

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Mon Oct 10 13:39:56 EDT 2005

Jason -

"Ounce of prevention ..." department:

You may want to set up Spybot
[http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html]. It is free,
well-regarded, and has an "immunize" mode intended to shortstop some types
of attack. The home site also has some background information to help folks
recognize common traps - only works if the user pays attention, of course.
(Same as advice like: "Don't play in traffic.")

I've heard good reports, but have no experience on 'AdAware'; and the latest
Microsoft offering is said to actually be useful.

"... pound of cure." deparment:

If you install from a CD, does it have a "Restore" function, or do you need
a fresh copy automatically on each startup? If you can make a DVD, that
would let you snapshot your fresh installation, and then something like
Knoppix or SystemRescue CDs would let you freshen the installation with
copies of earlier content.

DISCLAIMER: I never tried doing this on a regular basis, though I have
recovered trashed MsWin systems this way with Knoppix.