[ale] Is this a brain transplant or a heart transplant?

Barlow, Jim D jim.d.barlow at intel.com
Mon Oct 10 10:51:06 EDT 2005

We Gentoo buffs do this all of the time as a routine part of
instalation.   I've done it with knoppix...

Stolen from the Gentoo install documentation, you can mount your
filesystems, chroot into position, and then run your profiles to make
sure your environment variables are set:

   Mount the /proc file system first, copy over the /etc/resolv.conf
file and then chroot into your environment.

   Code Listing 1.1: Preparing and chrooting

   mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
   cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
   chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
   env-update && source /etc/profile

I always mount /mnt/boot too...

Then configure and compile your kernel & modules and install, making
sure your grub is ok.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml

Good luck.   - Jim